Saturday, February 28, 2009

Injury prevention, 7 Miles,and Audrey's First Haircut and Girl's Night Out!!

Today clinic was on injury prevention, The gueat speaker was a sports medicine and fitness chiropractor, Rob Rich of Elite Care Chiropractic, he and his wife have both been praticipants with team in training and he believes in the cause we are fighting for. He talked about the most common injuries we as walkers would come across and the steps we can do ourselves to treat them. He also provides us with discounted visits if we need to go in and have a consult with him for our injury. He hung around to talk with poeple however there were several people waiting to talk with him once we were ready to start our walk so I decided just to give him a call this week to talk about my feet, instead of waiting to talk to him and starting behind on my training.

I had prepared for today's walk by getting the socks reccomended to me by my coach and attemting to prevent hotspots with mole skin, however 1/2 mile into the walk it was very apperent that neither of my new plans were going to work, my feet had become so hot the the mole skins started to slide around my feet. The new socks made my feet sweat horribly. We made a quick stop at the restroom and I removed my mole skins and we were off again. It was not long before I could feel the hot spots forming.

I pushed on and we made it down to the trail start and Jenn turned around so she would not cause futher issues with her knee. By this time Coach Cheryl had caught up with us and she continued on with me. We talked about my toes and my hot spots and how she too battles issues all the time, it was very nice to hearthat even my coaches have issues that they continue to deal with and that I am not a wimp or in horrible shape because I am battling my own issues. We also talked about life in general it was nice to get to know her on a personal level. My feet were on fire at this point but I pushed on. We came accross a fellow teammate who was not feeling well so Cheryl transfered to her and I pressed on ahead of them. We made it to the aid station I grabbed a shack bar and some power aid and headed to the turn around.

I found a fellow tammate who was solo and we started the return trip to the start/finish point. Her pace was slower then mine but at this point I was happy to slow down since my feet felt like they were the tempature of the sun. We talked the whole program, she had just started last week and really didn't know how everything was supposed to work. This was a nice distraction for me. We plugged along and reached the finish line. I made all 7 miles!!!! I was supper stoked and only have a blister and a hot spot to show for it. I did talk to some other people about my hot spot issues who gave me some ideas and I still have to try the glide recommenation from Gina as well so I have some things to test out this week to see what works and what does not.

I got to spend the afternoon with my family, which included a trip to get the girl's haircut. This was a big day for Audrey, it was her first haircut, yeas at the age of 2.5 Audrey finally has enough hair to accually get it cut (mostly for a cleaner look). She really loved it and did a great job.

Tonight I got to go out for a girl's night out with some friends, Amber, Teri and Sarah. We meet at a Casa De Pico in La Mesa for some great Mexican food and yummy Maragritas. It was so great to get out of the hous with out the girls and just sit and talk with my friends over dinner. We talked about many things and random things :). It was a great night and we promised to continue the dinner out on a monthly basis.



3 comments:

  1. Just so you know the sports chiropractor who spoke is in Encinitas and an appointment with him is 95 dollars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I figured that was about that and I was just going to call and see if her any advise like he gave to you for some things I can try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on completing 7 miles!!!! I'm glad that you pushed through your foot issues. Next girl's night let me know.

    ReplyDelete