Saturday, February 21, 2009

5 Miles baby!!!

I did it I made it 5 miles today on my walk!!!!

My morning did not start out very well, It started with the freeway I took to get there being closed (which I did not know until I was already on it and had to be detoured back down to the freeway that was on) then I got lost trying to find the parking lot where we were meeting. However, the morning did turn around once I did find the team and we started our meeting. We had a presentation from another walk team coach. She presented our team animal, a golden lab in honor of her old golden retriever who had blood cancer and recieved a trial drug that gave her 8 more months of life her prognoses was only 3 weeks without. Our golden's name is star and she will be visiting each of us for a week at a time over our training.

We headed down to the track to do our timed mine however once there we discovered that the track was occupied and we were unable to do our time mile. We returned for our form clinic and were off for our walk. Today's goals for half marathoners was 6 miles however due to my taking 2 weeks off I was sure this was not a great goal for myself, I set a goal to complete 4 miles today. Our walk route consisted of the loop of UCSD which was 3 miles and then the course continued on the the main roads of La Jolla. We started off strong, including my toes however about a mile into the walk my toes went numb but I continued on. Jenn and I trugged along until we hit the hill and Jenn's knee acted up (she thinks she injured it on thusday) we pushed on and completed the loop (3 miles) and a mentor who was walking with us sufggested Jenn call it a day and she returned to the start point but I decided to push on numb toes and all. I caught up the a group in front of me and continued on. Then something surprizing happened the feeling in my toes started to return and then was back and forth with the feeling and numbness. We reached the 4 mile turn around and I was feeling great so I decided to push on with my group. I pushed on and made it to the 5 mile turn around and was ready to turn around knowing I still had a mile to head back to the start finish line. We made it back to the start finish line and did some streaching and refueled with water, power aid and a bagel.

I am very excited with my walk today and I am looking forward to getting back on track with the training set out by TNT.

2 comments:

  1. That's great news Danelle! I'm so proud of you. And also, glad that the feeling was able to come back in the toes...hopefully you'll be able to resolve this toe issue soon. Anytime you want a walking partner, call me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job D!!!! So awesome that you did it. Hopefully the toes continue to cooperate.

    ReplyDelete