Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Day After

Well last night was the big Kick Off Party for TNT (Team in Training). My eveing started by forgetting I had an assessment so I didn't get out of work till 30 minutes after planned. I headed to the hotel to find little parking but finally found a spot. We were welcomed by Bill (the main director I believe), the Mentors gave us a fashion show of items we could go shopping for once we have reached 25, 50, and 75% of our fundraising goal (A little incentive they called it. They also were sporting the all coveted Teal and Purple jacket, San Diego is the only chapter that has the jacket and they (and soon we) will wear it proudly. So don't forget to stop by my fundraising site and help me earn that jacket ;). We then were introduced to the "Honorary Teammates" those who are currently fighting the battle with Lukema or other blood cancers. They reanged from a little 4 year old boy to Ted who is in his 80's and is fighting cancer for the second time in 5 years. We then met an ex-navy pilot who had just (I mean that day) recieved word that his cancer, which was in stage 4, was in remission thanks to the new durgs and treatments that are now out there thanks to cancer research. While his story was great I was not moved like I thought I was. I have come to the conclusion that I am and have been so surrounded by cancer for the last 2 years that I have so many reasons and people to walk for that they motivate me. DOug and I counted and I know at least 5 people directly connected to me who have lost their fight, currently fighting or who are lucky enough to be in remission.

We then were seperated into our different groups, Jenn and I went into our walk group, we met our corridantor, as well as our couches and mentors. I really enjoyed this part I didn't feel like a small fish in a huge ocean like I did when we were all together. I am really really looking forward to working and training with my group, the coaches were very nice and the mentors were great. We are having an expo, a fundraising clinic, a 2 mile walk, and then a pancake breakfast. I am also excited to meet my mentor (she was unable to make the kick off party).

I am currently working on my fundraising letter, I want to finish it by Sat so I can get my t-shirt (another insentive they have for us).


I am ver

2 comments:

  1. I am really excited for you and it is the people closest to you that motivate you the most. Sometimes you don't need strangers stories to get you motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Danelle! Very glad that you are doing this, both for yourself and others!

    ReplyDelete